Where can I find job vacancies in the NHS in England and Wales?

All organisations delivering NHS services in England and Wales advertise their vacancies on the NHS Jobs website.  Vacancies in Scotland and Northern Ireland are advertised on other websites.

Which role is right for me?

There are over 350 different career possibilities within the NHS, from Photography and Accountancy, to working clinically in roles such as Phlebotomy and Elderly Care.  Have a look at https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles to see which might suit you best.

I already work in the health sector and need help with developing my career. Where can get this?

You should speak to your line manager and your training department. You can also contact the Health Learning and Skills Advice Line on 08000 150 850.

Will I still be able to train/work for the NHS if I have a criminal record?

It depends on the nature of the offence, and the sort of work you want to do in the NHS – for example, for roles with direct patient contact you will usually legally be required to declare all criminal offences. Any requirements like these will be stated in the job advertisement or when you apply to do a relevant university course.

Do I have to go to university to get a job in the health sector?

No. For example, around 50% of the NHS workforce has a university or other professional qualification, but there are lots of opportunities for staff without these qualifications, especially in the wider healthcare team.

You could also look at Apprenticeships as a way in to the Health Sector.  Within Cumbria and North Lancashire, there are hundreds of different Apprenticeship opportunities.  Find out more information in our Apprenticeships section.

What sort of careers could I consider in mental health?

There are many careers that you could consider in the NHS. These include Occupational Therapist, Mental Health Nurse, Psychiatrist, Speech and Language Therapist, Music Therapist, Social Worker, Drama Therapist, Psychotherapist, Art Therapist, Healthcare Assistant, Prison Nurse, Clinical Psychologist, Forensic Psychologist, Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner and High Intensity Therapist.

What careers are there working with children?

Many careers involve working directly with or specialising to work exclusively with children. They include Newborn Hearing Screener, Children’s Nurse, Paediatrician, Clinical Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist, Audiologist, Physiotherapist, Healthcare Assistant, Health Play Specialist, Nursery Nurse, Nursery Assistant, Child Psychotherapist, Health Visitor, School Nurse and Social Worker.

What careers are there to work with patients who have cancer?

A number of careers involve providing direct care or treatment of patients with cancer. These include Radiologist, Cancer Nurse, Nurse specialising in palliative care, Oncologist, Scientist in Haematology, Healthcare Assistant, Therapeutic Radiographer, Biomedical Scientist and Palliative Medicine Doctor. In addition to the NHS, opportunities exist with organisations such as Macmillan Cancer Relief.

Am I too old to join the Health Sector?

There is no upper age limit to join the health sector. Indeed, maturity/life experience can be an asset for many roles. If the career you are considering requires university training, then you should discuss any concerns that you might have about your suitability with the universities directly. You might consider attending some university open days or contacting the university’s admissions office before making a formal application.

You can use our coursefinder to get a list of universities approved to run courses for a number of clinical careers.

Does the NHS provide financial support to students going through university courses?

The NHS currently provides financial support to eligible students on approved pre-registration courses in nursing, midwifery, most of the allied health professions, dental hygiene, dental nursing, medicine and dentistry. The type of support varies, depending on the career and the course.  Find out more about the financial support available from the NHS in England.

The Students Awards Services offers a similar scheme in Wales.

How much can I earn in the NHS?

It depends on the type and level of job you are working in. Doctors, dentists and senior managers have their own pay systems, whereas NHS Trusts use Agenda for Change pay system, while General Practices have their own remuneration and benefits scheme.

What does being a registered healthcare professional mean?

Many healthcare professionals are regulated on a statutory basis. This means that to work as one of these professionals, you are legally required to be registered with the relevant regulatory body.  Many other professions have voluntary registration which means that it isn’t a legal requirement to be registered, but it is usually in the interests of the individual to do so.

Make an Enquiry

Please sign-up for updates using the form below and we'll keep you informed.

You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us, or by contacting us directly. We will treat your information with respect. For more information about our privacy practices please see our Privacy Policy. By submitting this form, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms. We use Campaign Monitor as our marketing automation platform. By submitting this form you also acknowledge that the information you provide will be transferred to Campaign Monitor for processing in accordance with their Privacy Policy and Terms.